This is video 5 of 6 in the series ‘The Website Starter Guide’ where I talk about each chapter of the website starter guide ebook. This video covers chapter 5 of the eBook which is all about search engine marketing (SEM or Google Adwords) and search engine optimisation (SEO). Please share this if you find it useful and feel free to leave a comment.
To know whether you are really going to get a return on money spent with Adwords you need to understand your conversion rate. If you don’t know how many visitors you are turning into customers then there is no way of knowing how much to pay for a visitor and therefore investing in Adwords is really just guessing (like a lot of other forms of small business advertising).
I should preface this article by saying that I haven’t advertised in my business for about 12 months and I would love to continue down this path (I’m not a huge fan – perhaps a topic for another post).
That said, I have used Adwords on and off for my own business over the years and for clients and there are some great advantages with it. However how do you know when it’s working. Here are some very rough and simplified calculations too give you some idea.
In my experience most small business owners are not going to go to the effort of analysing their Adwords to the extent of what I have done below however I think it is useful to look at these numbers as an example particularly to demonstrate just how expensive Adwords can be.
- The 5 day Microsoft detox February 16, 2012
- Forget focus December 8, 2011
- SEO case study month 1 – Link building and other tactics November 15, 2011
- 10 things I do to ensure I always have something to write about March 27, 2012
- A peek inside a simple website design April 11, 2012
- Juliet: This is a great post, thanks for sharing it with u...
- Mihai Alexandru: Thanks for the REPLY.You explained it very nice.Yo...
- Rod "Carl" Martin Jr: Hi Alex. Certainly hiring an SEO company to take c...
- Hythe: Some interesting techniques that could be implemen...
- Alex: Maybe the best option is to hire a SEO company to ...
We are always happy to hear from people who are keen to contribute to our web design blog. For information on becoming a contributor and for a list of all past contributors please visit our contributors page.