|This is Part 1 of our Prosperity Series. Everyone wants abundance in their lives. This series intends to help you break past any barriers you may have. But of course, everything has a beginning. We recommend starting with the Introduction, if you haven’t already read it.|
You’re In Control of Your Success
Your prosperity depends on your focus. Some people focus on scarcity while a growing minority focus on abundance. It might surprise you that a great many people who hunger for prosperity are actually focusing on the opposite. “What?” you may ask. “Are they cracked?” The trouble is, they don’t realise they’re doing it.
The Law of Attraction has been around throughout human existence. Some of our greatest thinkers have used this deliberatelyâ€”Plato, Shakespeare, Newton, Beethoven, Hugo, Lincoln, Emerson, Edison and Einstein.
Just like gravity, it doesn’t care if you believe in it or not. But think about this for a moment. With the Law of Gravity, delusion could prove fatal. Imagine thumbing your nose at gravity while stepping off a 30-story building. With the Law of Attraction, delusion could keep you struggling while others around you thrive. The Law of Attraction states that what you put your attention on you attract into your life. That’s why most successful people become more and more prosperous, while most of the poorer folk amongst us continue to struggle.
Every successful person uses it, whether or not they’re conscious of it. I used the Law of Attraction for forty years before I knew what it was called. My use of it started out rather hit-or-miss. I didn’t know what direction I wanted to go. But wouldn’t you like to have greater control over your own direction in life? Understanding these principles is critical to that desire.
What you need to do to use the Law of Attraction is simple.
- Askâ€”Simply write down, as specific as you can, exactly what you want to achieve. This is just like “goal setting.” And if you’re uncomfortable with setting goals, we have a refresher in part 5, but include some vital new stuff you may not know.
- Answerâ€”Here, you don’t need to do anything. The universe handles this part for you. This is where inspiration or serendipity occur. This is where opportunity presents itself.
- Receiveâ€”What you have to do here is to prepare yourself to receive that for which you have asked. Some people sabotage themselves by focusing on something entirely different and giving up. Or like so many lottery winners, they are uncomfortable with all their winnings and fritter them away.
It’s All in the Focus
The mind is a powerful tool. What makes it frustrating sometimes is that people can think and say one thing, but end up doing something entirely different.
There are two types of consciousness at work, here:
- Conscious Awareness
- Subconscious Attention
Have you ever been so busy in some activity that you utterly miss the fact that you scraped your arm or banged your thigh against the furniture? Later, you may see the bruise or the scrape and wonder where that came from and when that happened. Your awareness and attention were on something else entirely. But awareness and attention are rarely on the same thing, at least for most people.
Have you ever had a nagging pain that you forced out of your conscious mind, because you had an urgent project to complete? That pain snares your attention while your conscious awareness cranks away on the project. You may grow completely unaware of the pain as it becomes a dull throb in the background of your mind.
Now, consider what happens when your awareness is on completing your urgent project, but your attention is on missing the deadline. This is frequently called “worry,” and it kills more projects than you can count.
Whatever your attention is focused on you tend to get more of. This is the Law of Attraction at work.
Here are some other examples:
- Your conscious awareness wishes for prosperity, but your attention is focused on massive debt. These two ideas are incompatible, and guess which one winsâ€”debt!
- Awareness longs for a meaningful relationship, but your attention is focused on loneliness. If you guess the result is more loneliness, pat yourself on the back.
- Awareness hopes to be trim and healthy, but your attention is focused on being overweight. This is called “self-sabotage.”
It’s a fact that behaviour is driven by beliefs. But now beliefs are held in place by subconscious feelings. And your results are controlled largely by your behaviour. So, if you can control your subconscious feelings, you can have greater control over your results.
You may consciously know how to make a prosperous living, but your attention may focus on some self-sabotaging subconscious feeling like, “rich people are evil,” “money is too materialistic,” or “I don’t deserve prosperity.” The problem is that you may not be consciously aware of the underlying feeling.
One motivational speaker had called this subconscious activity, “background chatter.” Becoming aware of this area of the mind for the first time startled me. While standing in the shower, one morning, I heard that little voice in the background of my thoughts telling me how I would be late and that I would not amount to much. I couldn’t believe I was harbouring such feelings.
Instead of laughing off the idea and ignoring those negative feelings, I pulled them fully into the light of conscious awareness and took a good look at them. I acknowledged them and then dismissed them, but not before first replacing them with something far more positiveâ€””I’m always on time and I excel at everything I do.” Frequently, it will take repetition to build a new habitâ€”a new paradigm for your subconscious.
But one thing that many of the self-help gurus forget to mention is that positive thinking and affirmations are not enough. You have to feel the desired end result. In other words, you have to start living as if you’re already there. This doesn’t mean maxing out your credit card. It does mean, though, doing everything you can to maintain the feeling of success.
Some Techniques for Maintaining Focus on Success and Abundance
In business, prosperity means abundanceâ€”lots of customers, lots of sales and lots of resources to keep the pipeline filled and the enterprise growing.
So how do you keep your focus of attention on the abundance you deserve? Here are some suggestions:
- Ask yourself what such abundance would feel like, and then hold that feeling in your mind. Do this for a minute or two several times per day. Practice it until the feeling becomes a natural part of your life.
- How would such a successful person behave? How would they walk and talk? Practice doing this.
- What do you picture yourself having as a result of your new abundance? If it’s an expensive new car, then go test drive that car. Take your camera along and with you behind the wheel, have the salesperson take several pictures of you waving to the camera. Make it real. Take the pictures home and put them up on your wall or on a “vision board” to document all of your goals.
- Walk into a skyscraper like you own the place. Feel good? Feel strange? Keep practicing until it feels natural. Be sure and dress the part.
The worst thing you could do is to focus your attention on what you don’t want. If you have debt, set up an automatic debt payment plan, and then forget about the debt. You need to focus on your prosperity.
Coming up Next
In the next part of this series, we’ll look at some amazingly counterintuitive aspects of your mind. And your mind is, after all, your single greatest asset.
What are some of your own ideas for keeping your focus on the abundance you desire? Let us know about your own abundance techniques in the comment section.